Old 12-08-2008, 07:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default What I am doing, Poisoning termite nest

I've been to Mitre 10 & Bunnings and dispaired at the pathetic
offerings.

Bunnings had some liquid from http://www.davidgray.com.au being
Bifennthinn (?) being $70 for 1L with gave 10L when mixed and wouldtreat
2m**3 of soil.

Mitre 10 had a similar liquid from the same at about half the
price.

The problem was one only talked about dipping fabric and all sorts of
other insects. It was only when I found the missing instructions at
Bungles and read through four pages that it was clear how to treat
termites; aka it doesn't it is just a barrier system and I'd need to drill
holes in the soil ever 150mm (6"). blah. i could see me ending up with not
much change out of $1,000 and goodness knows what drill bit you used or
what it would do to the drill.

Instead, I finally managed 9after walking the length and bredth almost
twice) to find someone (an older person, YEAH) who knew what creosote was,
but though they didn't have it but an alternative and that it might be in
aisle 45 (mutter walked up aisle 46 didn't I). Finally, after much
standing and thunking, managed to spot something that wasn't obviously
paint and it turned out to be a "safe creosote". Purchased a 10L drum for
$120. now all I need to do is use it.

Yes, it isn't a poison to kill off the nest, but it seems no such thing is
available retail. aka, they only sell usless crap incase some idiot lets
their children drink it.

Even the cousin on the farm doesn't have anything much these days. Did
light his suggestion of dropping a load of coals on a nest, although he
did warm that you could come back to a hole 2' deep and across in a few
weeks.

Thanks for the post on the termite trap. I have seen it before, but
forgotten about it. His system looks to be about 4200 for detector and
$175 for poison baits. there are other systems around. his conference
paper is interesing.

I'm going to build my own from 90mm pipe. Lol, I'll
use a bottle cutter that recently featured on ABC collectors as a mystery
object to make the clear tops from old bottles. The catch is going to be
getting an arsenic poison in powder form.