Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton[_2_] Paul Luton[_2_] is offline

Default Making a new compost heap advice

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Emrys Davies" writes:
| "fimonkey" wrote in message
|
| Also, I'd like to add food scraps to it. How much food to garden waste
| ratio should I aim for?
|
| It is unwise to add food scraps to an open compost heap as you will
| attract vermin.

That is almost entirely an old wife's tale. I and many other people
put all kitchen waste on open heaps without trouble - and have done
for 30 years - and that includes meat! Of course, we don't throw
away a huge amount of food scraps relative to vegetable matter from
the garden.

On the other hand when I opened the lid of the compost heap on the
allotment (that never gets food scraps ) two rather cute little mice
looked up at me. Warm dry place to shelter I assume.

Paul
--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames