Old 12-08-2008, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default dirty peat free composts

On Aug 12, 9:02*pm, David WE Roberts wrote:
On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 23:29:49 +0100, cineman wrote:
Has anyone else noticed how many weeds grow in the new peat free alternative
composts ?
This year seems to be worse than last, growing annuals from seed I am
constantly trying to weed within a couple of centimetres from plants without
pulling plants up as well.
I am not certain but suspect that this is partial result of local authority
recycling with insufficient heat and time given to the rotting process.
anyone else more authoritative on this subject?
regards
Cineman

I've been using HomeBase peat free GroBags this year - works out a lot
cheaper than buying bags labelled 'compost' - and I have had no problems
with weeds and the plants seem to have thrived.

The compost is coarser than the usual peat compost and is easier to wet -
you don't get the drying out problems you can get with peat.

I transfer it to pots (roughly 10") and plant tomatoes, cucumbers and
courgettes in it.

Oh, and a couple of chillies.

All going well so far, touch wood.

I even have some tomato 'cuttings' producing well - the shoots from the
leaf joints which you usually pinch out.

A few got ahead of themselves and I rooted them then potted them up.

They are a bit behind the original plants, but still growing well.

Cheers

Dave R

Thanks Dave, I just hope that when I am in the UK in September that
Homebase have huge bags of the stuff for me to bring back to France.

Judith