Old 12-08-2008, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Freezing Runner Beans

On Aug 12, 10:12*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:

| | No! No! No!
| |
| | Right. Slice beans (on the slant).
|
| BIG error. *If they are big enough to slice, you haven't picked
| them young enough!
|
| You obviously don't feed your beans.
|
| Mine are usually picked at around nine inches, and there are no strings.
You are jumping to conclusions! *I regard runner beans of that size
as much inferior to smaller ones, not because they are stringy, but
because they are more watery. *And feeding them won't help reduce that!

I prefer the flavour of larger ones - not larger so that the skins
contain toenails and the sides are held together with
packaging-plasticbandlike strips though...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig- Hide quoted text -

I like both, at the moment they are very small as they are not doing
too well but last year in England we had a glut, they were big but
very tender and lovely with lamb gravy and Yorkshire pudding. I have
introduced my French neighbours to that, as a first course!!!

Judith