Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Delurk, background, first questions

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:37:33 EDT, "a425couple"
wrote:

I have read all your good comments.
(and please do not think of me too negatively
as impossibily lazy, cheap, or stupid, ,
((I think I'm only moderately the above!))
but I doubt I even could do all the suggestions.)

We'd think nothing of the sort. In fact, I think most of us can relate and
than tailor our advice to the needs of the ponder. As I mentioned, the
cheapest, easiest solution to most pond problems are frequent partial water
changes.

Of course the more info we have about the size of each pond and residents
therein helps.... and even though it is more personal, letting us know to
what effort the ponder can go to, helps. We've had people go all the way to
microscopes, scrapings, classes, and meds to save a fish. But not everyone
has the time, money, or energy to do so.

I've been on forums where I went for help and was scolded for not doing
what they said... and then not doing everything to save a fish with half
it's face gone, because I decided to conk it on the head. There is a point
to which one can go, and ponding was getting a bit stressful at that time.
It was easier to humanely put those severely sick out of their misery then
stress them and myself out trying to save them using expensive meds while
in a small Q-tank. (Overcrowding is what did me in back then.)

I'll certainly accept that my current population
(averaging about one 3 1/2" goldfish per 12-15 gallons)
is more than reccomended.

Yes, that's about the recommendation for an inside aquarium with a filter
turning the water over mega times/hour.

predation, nor will I choose to execute them for their
error of 'staying alive'.)

Most pet stores will buy them back for store credit.

Yes, I accept that this spring's 'de-gunking' , "mucking-out"

Depending on pond size, a shop vac does this very easily.

Most of us run our fountains and waterfalls 24/7.

That may be good, but I'm not going to normally do it.

Then the next best thing is to have an air pump with bubbler going in the
pond 24/7. The problem with not running the above is that when you do turn
them on, usually when you're sitting out there, they stir up the gunk.
Messing up the view.

Frequent partial water changes? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us