Old 13-08-2008, 12:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
D Kat D Kat is offline

Default Delurk, background, first questions

I am possibly the laziest ponder there is and I challenge you to out do me!
They are just ideas and you grab what works for you. There is no perfect
solution and we would certainly not think negatively towards you. When you
find what works for you, you can share. I'm always looking for an easier
path!

Donna

"a425couple" wrote in message
. ..
"kathy" wrote "a425couple"
wrote ...
(basicly = two ponds, bigger bottom doing well, smaller top is
'greenish')

Thank you very much Kathy, -jan, Derek, and DKat.

I have read all your good comments. (and please do not think of me too
negatively as impossibily lazy, cheap, or stupid, , ((I think I'm only
moderately the above!)) but I doubt I even could do all the suggestions.)

I've learned a lot and made some changes.

All algae thrives on sun, -- fish waste, --
Letting the frogbit expand will help provide shade
and compete for the nutrients that algae likes.

I read this on the 9th, said "this step is easy!"
That evening tried first change.
(I normally use 'cut/broken to length windfall branches' to separate
"clear viewable surface" from "frogbit carpet".)
I grabbed a length of old damaged green garden hose, cut off about a 2 1/2
foot length, whittled a stick, stuck it in end, curved hose around, stuck
in other end to create a circle, put it in 'clear surface', removed the
branch, let the rain and natural 'effort to expand' happen, and by morning
the pond was mostly covered by 'frogbit'.

Through that circle/view window, it seems the water is getting clearer.

Plants are always a good idea.

Yes. (normally each spring we buy some of those floating plants - just
failed to do so this year.)
On the 10th, tried my favorite nursery store, they were out/done with them
for year. I will try another.

Biggest culprits --- too many fish, overfeeding the fish

I'll certainly accept that my current population (averaging about one 3
1/2" goldfish per 12-15 gallons) is more than reccomended.
(I bought figuring on past mortality rates, and am not going to complain
that they all lived, and avoided predation, nor will I choose to execute
them for their error of 'staying alive'.)
Also, losses will surely occur again.

Also, the reason I have the ponds is for enjoyment, and I get pleasure
from sitting by them and feeding the colorful fish 2-3 times a day.

Biggest culprits --- accumulated gunk. --getting out gunk,

Yes, I accept that this spring's 'de-gunking' , "mucking-out" should
probably have been more through.
In the cold rainy fall and winter, huge number of leaves fall and are
blown into the ponds. They sink and degrade into 'muck'. Often enough
the ponds freeze over (sometimes 1/4", sometimes up to 1 1/2"). As spring
warms the water, I 'de-muck' and generally find that most of the fish I'd
last seen, are still present and alive.

Most of us run our fountains and waterfalls 24/7.

That may be good, but I'm not going to normally do it.
Over the years I've had 3-4 near catastrophies from that (critters
dislodge hose or mechanical failure of spout getting plugged - dribble
outside "continential divide") .
Found it gives me a horrible feeling in morning to find the pond sucked
almost totally dry!
One thing I don't recommend is algaecides

I agree.

Thanks again to all.