Old 13-08-2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Tree Problems Addressed

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

Sorry Lee, I'm just working with the tools that society has
given me. At first blush, you must admit that down to the
bullet it sounds like our friend John. I agree that none of
the above describes your behavior. I presume that a real
definition of autism would fill a library but I (like that
other famous Bill) can only use the definitions that the
dictionary gives me.

it's this part: "€ a mental condition in
which fantasy dominates over reality, as a symptom of
schizophrenia and other disorders. " that i object to. i

don't know any austistics, child or adult, that have fantasy
dominating reality issues. autistics generally *can't*
pretend. we're hyper-realistic, overly logical, non-emotional.
we don't *get* playing pretend.
that whole phrase might pertain to schizophrenics, but not to
autistics at all.

Autism * Is a pervasive developmental disability (PDD) that
is usually diagnosed within the first three years of life.
The major areas of development impacted are the childıs
ability to communicate, and acquire social skills.
http://www.autismedu.com/glossary.html

yup. at least for some on the spectrum. then there are the
asperger types... they can talk the bark off a tree, if the
topic interests them.
my son was a non-talker, but his was due to apraxia of
speech, not the autism. he's pretty aspie, really.

Being closer to the issue, do you have a more relevant
definition?

try taking a look around this site:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/

between the radiation, 3 weeks of rain & trying to get my
house organized, i'm too wiped to be coherent right now. it's
a look at autism from the inside, what bothers us, what we
think.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair