Old 13-08-2008, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Freezing Runner Beans

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:
In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message

You are jumping to conclusions! I regard runner beans of that size
as much inferior to smaller ones, not because they are stringy, but
because they are more watery. And feeding them won't help reduce that!

I prefer the flavour of larger ones - not larger so that the skins
contain toenails and the sides are held together with
packaging-plasticbandlike strips though...

I'm inclined to agree. I gave a handful of my runners, up to about 10"
in length to a lady friend yesterday, and after eating them with her
evening meal she declared them tender and completely free from strings.

The seeds are Suttons and the variety "Best of All", which I have never
grown before. I nearly always grew Scarlet Emperor, and they could
get stringy at that length.
There is quite a difference in texture between pods from the same plant,
some do appear leathery, but no strings, and tender after about 90
seconds in the microwave.

Mine went in late this year, and the first ones haven't even reached
half a Maclaren yet.

Froze another batch today...

Froze some of my neighbour's crop today, just to keep me going until
mine start to get to a sensible size.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig