Old 13-08-2008, 10:16 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default we have Horseweed far worse than Goldenrod world's finest weedingtool-- tongue-groove-pliers; a good design for robot-weeders

kauhl-meersburg wrote:
hello Archi,

heart affecting your description of your endeavours in determining
flowers, I know those difficulties also very well, as at the beginning
one has not yet an eye for those small differencies in flowerhead
composition and one always refuses to read those written dry listings of
flower characteristics

so at first you should develop an impression of families:

goldenrod = compositae
pennycress = cruciferae
curled dock = polygonaceae
stinging nettle = urticaceae
toad-flax = scrophulariaceae
loose-strive = primulaceae

all with their individual details - and don't throw those hand drawn
guides away, they are much more better than photos, because you see the
plant in its uniqueness - you should rather procure a field guide nearly
complete, the mine has about 2000 drawings

btw. "dm" means dezimeter = 10 centimeters = 1/3 foot

concerning your question for a subspecies of goldenrod I am not familiar
with it, but I had a look on wikipedia "goldenrod" with about 10
subspecies

what about publishing a photo of your Llamas and horses, e.g. under
alt.binaries.pictures.animals

cheers kauhl

Cheers, it is called Fleabane or Horseweed. Conyza canadensis

Had a friend help me to identify.

The feature that gives it away is the size it can grow. Goldenrod only
gets 2 feet tall
but this Fleabane can get 6 feet tall.

So I think alot of these weed identity books are sorely lacking in a
vital data of size.

But worst of all, old weed manuals should provide more than an artist
sketch. In the days of
modern photography of color pictures, a weed manual should have artist
sketch of details, but
should always have a crisp clear color photo of the weed. I could have
spent alot of time looking
at all those artist sketches and never have said "that weed is
fleabane". But if my manuals had a
color photo of the weeds, I probably would have solved the mystery
without having to ask my friend.

In my pastures, I have about less than ten goldenrod weeds that I
could spot, but within those pastures
was probably thousands, perhaps hundred thousand fleabane.

Manual says fleabane has terepene chemicals so the horse will not
touch them. But I do not remember
seeing any fleabane where the Llama is pastured. So will have to check
on that issue to see if the Llama
eats fleabane. It maybe I just did not look close enough.

Sorry, I do not have time for photos to the Internet, for I have a
tough enough schedule as is.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium