Old 14-08-2008, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ivan Ivan is offline

Default What to do with heavy soil..

On Aug 14, 12:02*pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:49:24 -0700 (PDT), Ivan
wrote:

So basically the soil will never be able to be improved?
Nothing breaks clay soil?

If I were to replace the soil with better-draining soil, how deep
would I have to go?

It's not a very big courtyard, so I'm thinking that perhaps the whole
idea of digging a hole and amending the soil is really not that bad. .
The tree will, eventually, hit a wall, whether it be concrete or clay
soil ..

You can improve the soil, but *keeping improved takes some work. *You
will need to provide an area equal to that of the diameter of the
canopy of the tree. *The end of the canopy is called the drip line. If
you amend a hole which goes down about four feed and out to the drip
line you may have some success. *Keep in mind clay soil is very
nutrient rich with elements. *You can improve soil texture by using a
back hoe or a Bobcat. *You would have to blend into the soil at least
five yards of compost, fungal specifically. *Fungal compost is made
using vegetation. *Bacterial compost is made using manures from
animals mixed with vegetation. *They provide two very different types
of organism. *Both are necessary, but for trees a fungal mat is
necessary.

If after you add the compost, and then about a yard or so of
decomposed granite, or lavasand, or coarse builders sand and mix it
all together to a depth of four feet, all the way out to the eventual
drip line of the tree...you may have success. *

Courtyard implies shade. *How much sun will your cherry tree get in
the courtyard? *

I will tag this discussion, not to be rude, but to point out how
people ask a question or for advice, they get it and still do what
they want anyway. *Try it. *You'll *know in three to five years if
your work was worth it or not.

Not saying I'll go out and do whatever I want anyway .. I'm trying to
understand why the soil can't be fixed and come to terms with the fact
I won't be able to have the tree we want ..
It's a small-ish patch of soil in a courtyard.. I should have
explained better: the soil part is small, but the courtyard is rather
large, only concreted, so it gets decent amounts of sun....

The soil is what bothers me the most ..