Old 14-08-2008, 06:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default What to do with heavy soil..

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Ivan
wrote:

Not saying I'll go out and do whatever I want anyway .. I'm trying to
understand why the soil can't be fixed and come to terms with the fact
I won't be able to have the tree we want ..
It's a small-ish patch of soil in a courtyard.. I should have
explained better: the soil part is small, but the courtyard is rather
large, only concreted, so it gets decent amounts of sun....

The soil is what bothers me the most ..

Tree roots need what is called gas exchange and that comes from the
soil surface. Trees in courtyards covered in concrete are not healthy
and usually stay relatively small. I would advise you to do a google
search on native trees to your region and specifically agricultural
zone. Take into consideration how much rain you get, will that small
hole get any of the rain through the concrete, certainly no air will
exchange in the top horizon of soil under concrete.

I'm not wilfully trying to discuourage you, I love trees and have as
many as my property will accomodate. I would love an apple tree. That
is not going to happen where I live in Texas. I want red maple, not
happening.

So the very best suggestion I can make with amplified verve is that
you seek out what species are native and go from there.

OP: "I will buy the tree this weekend as they're having a bare-root sale
at the nursery I'm going to."
------

Let's see. It's half past August now, how many nurseries in your
area are having bare root sales Jang?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars