Old 14-08-2008, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default What to feed ornamental grasses

On 8/13/2008 6:21 PM, Jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:05:02 -0700, "Paul O."
wrote [in part]:

I have alkaline soil, clay loam, with a lot of organic matter. I don't
rake leaves, or clean up debris, and mulch is made of shredded native
trees, not pine deco bark. So the microbes in the soil tend to the
grasses nutritional requirements.

My red fescue is planted as a lawn under a very large ash tree.
Therefore, I must rake leaves in the fall. Otherwise the leaves will be
so dense that they will smother the grass and leave dead patches.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean