Old 14-08-2008, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default What to do with heavy soil..

On Aug 13, 9:25�pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:48:03 -0700 (PDT), Ivan
wrote:

Hi all

I'm about to plant a cherry tree and apparently they hate heavy soil..
I will buy the tree this weekend as they're having a bare-root sale at
the nursery I'm going to.

I'm planting it in a raised bed, so I can make the soil be as good as
the tree needs it to be, but eventually the roots will need to go into
the soil beneath the bed.. And probably won't, if it's mostly clay..

What are some suggestions?

Can I dig a hole and fill it with compost and rotted manure and
potash, or is it too late?
By the time the roots get to it, it might have aided to condition the
soil around, right?

Please advise!

Okay, so you first say you are about to plant a cherry tree and they
hate heavy soil and you have heavy soil. �My advice is not to plant a
cherry tree because no matter what you do, it will fail in several
years and you'll be back to having a bare spot with no tree and have
wasted time trying to grow something in improper conditions.

You can amend the soil till the cows come �home.

Actually cows are very good at amending soil.