Old 14-08-2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Prickly Pear Cactus

In article
,
Billy wrote:

So after a gruesome summer of watching one napole after another
shrivel up and blow away, I'm down to my last one. Anecdotally,
I've been told to just lie the napole on the ground and it will
root. This hasn't worked.

Googling, I find that it is recommended to set the napole on its'
side and bury a small part of it.

I am using a half barrel with hill side clay at the bottom and
mixed with cactus potting soil (1-1) for the top 8". The "last
nopale" has sprouted another nopale but I am too afraid to move it to
see if it is rooted.

Lacking any comment to the contrary, I intend to check the napale
for roots today, and in the event that I don't find any, rotating
it from its' face to its' side and planting a quarter of it in the
ground.

I TOLD you to plant the BASE in a pot babe. ;-) Flat planting is more
iffy in my direct experience.

I'll still send you more if that one dies...

But, I'll pre-root them first. lol Takes about 3 to 4 weeks...

Soil mix is 1/3rd sand, 1/3rd good potting mix (like MG) and 1/3rd
vermiculite. Best mix for succulent cuttings.

I may not be very good at getting perennial cuttings to grow, but I've
had REALLY good luck with succulents. I bought a book.

Want some San Pedro? g
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)