Old 14-08-2008, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default pepper fruit set is low

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

I have 6 pepper plants growing outside my kitchen window, on the East side
of the house where they are sheltered from the hottest afternoon sun.

(snip)

I have 1 Pimento, 1 Big Bertha, 1 yellow banana, 1 Gypsy, and 2 fooled you
no heat jalapenos. Pimento seems to be having the most problem, but all
seem to be suffering from a lack of fruit set. Plants are quite healthy,
and have grown from about 12" tall to 2' tall over the past month. We have
all the plants well mulched with straw, and my kids water the plants about 1
quart each morning using a ceramic watering pig thing that my wife bought.
If we've missed a day, I'll go out and give each plant a half gallon,
especially on the hottest, driest times. (we haven't had appreciable
rainfall in weeks) Day temps have been in the low to mid 80's, and night
temps in upper 50's to 60's.

My Dad used to use some sort of fruit spray on tomatoes years ago to make
higher numbers of the flowers set fruit. The resulting fruits had few
seeds, but still tasted just as good. Do they have something similar I
could use on the pepper plants in the mornings when the flowers are open?

Since the plants are growing well, I suspect that they are over
fed and over watered and simply want to vegetate. The temps look
to be on the low side for peppers. We had a very comfortable year
here for people last summer but the garden suffered.

You might want to pull the mulch back from your peppers (unless it is
plastic) and allow the ground to warm up and dry out a little. Some
stress would be an indication to the plant that it is time to
reproduce.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/garden8.asp
The Pros and Cons of Fertilizing
--