Old 08-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Using Chives in the landscape

In article ,
Gayle Surrette wrote:
I do a lot of companion planting and there's a book
called (I think) _Roses love garlic_. I'm not sure
if the chive and garlic are in the same family. I'm
a newish gardener (meaning I've been fiddling around
for quite a while but never really actually took it
seriously until recently.

Yes. Both Allium. Some people swear by companion planting; others
laugh at it. No matter. Chives make an excellent plant for the
herbaceous border, provided that it is relatively cool and damp.
There are lots of decorative plants in that family, most of which
are called garlics for no very good reason, and which vary from
being like chives to thriving on a short, damp spring and a hot, dry
summer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.