Old 08-04-2003, 07:32 PM

Default Ridding a lawn of moss

Our back garden is riddled with moss at the moment - it is like walking
on a
sponge! Is it worth persevering with moss killer and raking it all out
(which wont leave much grass behind) or is it really a re-lay job (about

50
square metres at a guess)?

Unless you do something about the conditions which are making your lawn
a nice place for moss to grow then you're really wasting your time and
effort killing it with chemicals. It will always come back sooner or
later.

It may not be necessary to re-lay it. You mostly just need to improve
the drainage. You could try spiking the lawn and brushing grit into the
holes for a start. Is it over-shaded - can you give it more light? Is
your lawn at the bottom of a slope such that water tends to drain onto
it - perhaps providing a drainage channel for that water is an option?

If all else fails, moss is quite pleasant to look at and the sponginess
could be viewed as an asset ;-)

It is not overshaded, and is sloped maybe 10 degrees with a small patio at
the top - I wouldnt have thought too much water would drain into the lawn. I
think maybe aerating might help though - you can rent electric ones I think
from the hire shops? What sort of grit would you put in - where do you buy
such stuff?

Any ideas how much a re-lay would cost? I saw a
neighbours lawn get relaid last year, and they just put down loads of top
soil over the existing grass and laid the new turf on top - that seemed

an
odd way to do it?

I can't see how that will have improved the drainage unless they added a
significant height.

It just looked a bit odd as their lawn wasnt too bad before, perhaps a
little bare in a couple of patches. I would guess anything growing in the
old lawn would eventually grow through into the new one on top though.

cheers

dave.