Old 15-08-2008, 06:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Sheila[_3_] Sheila[_3_] is offline

Default Starting a big siphon

San Diego Joe wrote:
Over the past few years I have collected a nice collection of mulm and kitty
litter on the bottom of my pond. I have since learned that if you don't
plant the lilies all the way to the top of the pot, the Koi can't
redistribute the kitty litter all over. Anyway, I want to remove it and
think a siphon using a large 1 1/2" tube would work without clogging too
much. The problem is, and no joking here - you know who you are, that I
can't suck hard enough to get it started.

Any of you mechanical minds have a way I can somehow prime it with a pump?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Hi,

Run a hose from an outside faucet to the bottom of your pond, turn your
faucet on and let it start running water in your pond, the turn off the
faucet, take the hose off the faucet and place the faucet end of the
hose lower than the pond and the siphon is primed and will start draining.

Sheila