Old 15-08-2008, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
paghat[_2_] paghat[_2_] is offline

Default fruit fly infestation

In article , rachael simpson
wrote:

Billy wrote:

Snip

You can reduce their numbers but until you have a frost, you are
gong to be in a constant battle. They are probably being attracted by
ripe fruit outside.

Gee, thanks, Billy....you just made my day. Just what I wanted to
hear...err...read!
*shakes head*
lol!

~Rae

Well, things vary. I had fruitflies last week, thick as the devil, mainly
because I hadn't put the lid on the compost bucket properly plus our stash
of subscribed organic fruit had some bad bits in it. All I did was pay
better attention to the bucket, refrigerate the fruit rather than leave it
out, throw out some pretty frazzled flower bouquets that had the requisite
yeast growing at the waterline, and oh yeah did the dishes a lot which I
hate to do. Today there's not a fruitfly anywhere.

Oh, they WILL come back before summer's through, but when they do, it'll
be because of a bad banana or the compost bucket lid not pressed tight,
not because there's fruit out of doors. Here they just don't come inside
without the scent of a breeding ground; one generally has to BRING them
inside (like on the subcribed organic fruit). We had a worm bin right next
to the back door, left the back door open so Daigoro could come and go
into the enclosed yard, and the worm bin did get some fruitflies in it but
they never came indoors.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website: