Old 15-08-2008, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Invasive raspberries

In message , Amethyst
Deceiver writes
My raspberry canes are in the border of the garden and are starting to
send suckers out into the very small "lawn". I've got a similar problem
with blackberries. I'm happy to zap the brambles with weed-killer, but
if I do the same with the raspberries is this going to affect the main
canes? What's the best way to deal with the volunteers if not
glyphosate?

Glyphosate is a systemic herbicide which is translocated into the roots.
So, yes, it would affect the main canes. Glyphosate is particularly
effective on grasses, so it would dispose of the lawn faster than the
canes.

Mowing will deal with the volunteers.

Raspberry runners are shallow-rooted, so a physical barrier, such as
lawn-edging will prevent recurrence.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley