Old 15-08-2008, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Damons? Plums?

On 15/8/08 15:29, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
I really cannot be doing with these tiresome people who can spend 3
hours arguing about the length of stamens in order to support their
theory that a plant belongs to one genus or another altogether!

I'd agree with you is it was all about just tidying species into
convenient boxes. But since the overall aim is to reflect the
evolutionary tree, it's good that there are people willing to go into
this in whatever level of detail is necessary to get to as near the
truth as is possible.

I'm very happy for others to do it and I do admire their persistence and
understand the reasons behind it. It's just not for me! It's a bit like
snowdrops, which I really do love - I simply cannot spend the winter on my
knees arguing over which variety is which but galantophiles are in 7th
heaven!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com