Old 15-08-2008, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Invasive raspberries

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Possibly it depends on variety, but the ones that are spreading across
| my allotment (I'm going to dig some out and give them to my
| cousin-in-law come autumn) form new plants via roots that run maybe an
| inch under the surface. The roots beneath the canes are deeper, but I
| don't have two feet of top soil for them to grow in, and I don't recall
| them going down more than a foot.

I do and they did, when I had them. I dug them out 1' down, and they
still came back. Only weakly, unlike bindweed.

Mine come up strongly and repeatedly, often in the veg. plots where it's
difficult to dig during the growing season :-(

Mary

I trust youall have noticed that I'm making a distinction between
runners and other roots. It's the runners that the OP would be worrying
about.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley