Old 15-08-2008, 03:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Starting a big siphon

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:14:55 EDT, San Diego Joe
wrote:

Over the past few years I have collected a nice collection of mulm and kitty
litter on the bottom of my pond. I have since learned that if you don't
plant the lilies all the way to the top of the pot, the Koi can't
redistribute the kitty litter all over. Anyway, I want to remove it and
think a siphon using a large 1 1/2" tube would work without clogging too
much. The problem is, and no joking here - you know who you are, that I
can't suck hard enough to get it started.

Any of you mechanical minds have a way I can somehow prime it with a pump?

Use a shop vac to prime the siphon hose.

To prevent re-occurrence, use plenty of stones large enough the koi
can't move them from the top of the lily pot. Just be sure not to
cover the lily leaf shoots coming out of the larger root.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb