Old 16-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Rajabarel Rajabarel is offline
Registered User

Location: Scottish Borders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Dog View Post
Just received a flyer in the mail today advertising a "compostumbler." It's a very large drum on a pipe stand which is turned using a geared hand-crank. Among other claims, the ad states you can compost your waste in just 14 days. (??)

Does anyone have an opinion as to the value of this composter.

Hound Dog
I bought on of these about 15 years ago, it was about 4' high, green , holes in side, screw-on rubber lid. Problem was keeping it warm. I find a trad wooden box type bin better, and I don't believe 14 days unless you generate a lot of compost. Mix kitchen waste with torn-up egg boxes is good, add urine or activator. BUT the stand was too flimsy, it was hard to turn unless over half full because all the weight dropped to one end. So I drilled more holes in it at its base to drain it, and use it as a standing 2 year type composter. Remember I'm in S Scotland so 2° ? cooler than SE England.