Old 15-08-2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
Yeff Yeff is offline

Default Excess cucumber

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:42:24 -0700 (PDT), James wrote:

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?

Cucumber Kimchee

3 cucumbers; peeled
1-tablespoon salt
1-tablespoon red pepper powder
1-tablespoon garlic; minced
2 green onions; sliced

Seed the cucumbers and cut them into 1" pieces. Sprinkle with salt and
let sit for 3 hours in a colander.

Rinse and pat dry.

Add the red pepper powder, garlic and green onions. Mix.

Chill for 24 hours.

It's the perfect accompaniment to:

-------

Bulgoki

1 lb. lean beef (for example, sirloin tip)
1 T. sugar
2 1/2 T. soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium green onions, thinly sliced
1 t. sesame seed, toasted and lightly pounded
1/8 t. black pepper
1/2 t. sesame oil

Cut the beef against the grain into thin slices about 1/4" thick. Place
the beef in a bowl and add the sugar. Mix well and let stand for 10
minutes.

Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well. Marinate for at least
two hours before cooking.

Grill on a charcoal fire or oven-broil at 450F for about 1 minute on
each side until browned.

-----

Personally I like to stir-fry the beef in a wok with the marinade and
serve with white rice.

Bulgoki, rice and cucumber kimchee. All that's missing is a bottle of
Soju.

--

-Jeff B.

"Excuse me.