Old 16-08-2008, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default planting a low formal hedge

The message
from MikeH contains these words:

I am about to plant a low, formal, evergreen hedge, approx 0.8 - 1.2
metres high and 16 metres long. It fronts a lawn and borders on a
pavement so needs to be resilent i.e. must be able to regenerate from
old wood in case of vandalism. Has anybody had experience of planting
the following: Lonicera nitida, Ilex crenata Convexa orThuja
occidentalis. Open aspect, north facing, light shade withy late
afternoon sun. I have decided against Escallonia and Box. Any other
advice or experience of others would be greatly appreciated.

Lonicera nitida grows quickly, and if kept in check will do what you
want, but if allowed to get too large, tends to fall over.

See http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/garden.htm and you'll see L.
nitida behind the rhubarb (you'll also see the lack of L. nitida in the
last two picks innit).

You'll also see large lumps of the stuff in other pics, all of which had
been allowed to take over (and fall over), and you will also see the
smoke generated by burning the smaller bits of it. The larger stems (and
roots) are saved for the fire this winter.

The main logpile is composed of a *VAST* apple tree which blew over in a
neighbour's garden during a gale, and an even vaster cypress in the
village churchyard which succumbed to another gale a couple of years
later.

Cypress? I'll split those rounds with me 7 lb axe, no probs...

Um...

All the fibres seem to be holding hands! Big swing, axe buries its bit
to a couple of inches up its cheeks (Oo-er!), and it's the very divil to
get it out again, so it is!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig