Old 08-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default Chitting

In message , The Reid
writes
I vaugley remember a thread about chitting that went something like
they chit better in the veg rack than on the windowsill.

I had one lot on the windowsill and another lot waiting in a
bag/shade. The in the bag ones grew lots of shoots, the in the light
ones minimal ones.

Is this perhaps the point? Windowsill gives short fat shoots, in dark
long impractical vulneralbe ones?

That's exactly the point, the point of chitting really is just to get
the potatoes going earlier than it would if planted out outside (hence
only really useful for earlies) - long thin shoots have no benefit and
are more prone to damage when planting, the short fat ones you get when
chitting in light are the ones that are required.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: