Old 17-08-2008, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Something different

In article ,
Dave Hill writes:

| I don't know who is into growing something different in the veg
| garden, but if you are then have a look at www.realseeds.co.uk or
| their news letter at http://www.realseeds.co.uk/Newsletter08.html
| I'm growing "OCA" ~(Latin name: Oxalis Tuberosa) and the plants are
| growing well, I'm going to try a few other things next year.

I grow it, lacksadaisically. Unless there is a long, warm, damp
autumn, it produces ridiculously small tubers. They fall apart,
rather, when cooked , but have a flavour rather like a cross
between a potato and sorrel. I have boggled guests with it!

I have also grown chufa, but forgot it one year and so no longer
do. That produced a reasonably number of tiny tubers, that tasted
exactly like fresh coconut with the skin on. If I were to make
Horchata, that is what I would use.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.