Old 17-08-2008, 11:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Economy 7 meter digital (OT)

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:26:51 +0100, endymion wrote:

I know this is the wrong newsgroup but I cannot find the diy one.

uk.d-i-y added to the newsgroups list.

Either my server has removed it or I just cant find it. Anyway, I have
economy 7 electricity and they have just replaced the meter with a
digital one and I cannot work it out and I have tried the internet but
they give N and L for the tariff readings

Can someone tell me which " T" and "R" stand for? I know one is night
and one day but I dont know which. This is exceptionally important
since there is something wrong with the electricity supply and the
thing is using 200 quid worth of electricity a month and I have nothing
on.

Dispute the bill *now*. Worry about why later.

I am trying to read the meter day and night to work out whats lamping
the electric but I cant do that not knowing which is day rate and which
is night. Can someone with one of these new digital elec tronic readers
tell me which is which?

Can you upload a picture some where? Always better than trying to describe
something.

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:58:47 +0100, endymion wrote:

Now I have a new meter - fancy job - it shows just one reading which is
the total consumption of electric on its main face. It flashes with a
red light ( or two) depending on which rate is currently in use ( I
think). Thats best guessing from looking at it.

The red light flashes faster or slower depending on the current level of
power consumption. Ours is 1 flash per 0.001kWHr (1/1000th unit) but your
meter is different ours just continuously cycles through the two rates and
a display check.

a) the date ( I think)
press again

b) the time ( I think but it isnt right, its an hour out)
press again

If it knows the time *and* date it's probably a radio controlled time
switch/meter, or "teleswitch". What writing is on it? The time will be an
hour out as we are in BST at the moment and power switching stays on GMT.

c) an R rate which gives one reading

press again
d) a T rate.

The easy way to tell which is which is to see which one clicks up during
the day. Read it in the morning and then again in the evening. One should
have stayed static and the other gone up by say 5 to 25.

--
Cheers
Dave.