Old 17-08-2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default pepper fruit set is low

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

While temps above 100 F will cause plants to expend their energy
on pumping water for evaporative cooling, low temps would mean
not enough energy to set fruit.

Only, they're not really expending energy to transpire. The
evaporative process itself is what draws most of the water up.

Agreed, poor choice of words on my part. The point I was trying to
make is that the evaporative cooling (water use) will take precedence
over the production of glucose and therefore vegetative growth or
fruit setting.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars