Old 17-08-2008, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge Rusty Hinge is offline

Default Damons? Plums?

The message
In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:

| Well, it IS just a variety of plum! And, yes, that's its origin.
| The French terms that I find a a bit odd are where the same word
| is used for two items that are used very differently - groseille
| being an example.
|
| And English (to include USanian) is little better, if at all: think
'muffin'?

Indeed, but it is relatively rare for a single dialect not to distinguish
two things that are (a) both commonly used and (b) where there is a
significant possibility of confusion. Muffin is unambiguous, once you
know which side of the pond you are.

Unfortunately not.

You can ask for a muffin and get a proper little flat breadlingthing, or
you may be offered a large cup-cake - on this side of the pond.

Breadlingthings are virtually unknown on t'other. Of course, if they'd
stayed in the Empire like sensible folk, they'd never have adopted the
moufflon as their muffing standard, what?

But I have read French recipes which use unadorned groseille, where
any groseille could be used, but where the results would taste very
different. I am pretty sure that they meant gooseberry, there.

More than likely. I really must reinstate the study: when on the pooter
(upstairs) and wanting to consult any of my decent dictionaries, I have
to go downstairs.

Sigh.

Plod.

Replod.

Harrap's New Shorter French and English Dictionary: (But still requires
a fork-lift...)*

Groseille s.f. 1. G. à grappes, (red-, white-) currant. 2. G. à
maquereau, gooseberry.

Groseillier s.m. 1. Currant-bush. 2. G. à maquereau, gooseberry-bush.

*How big/heavy is the Standard version?

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.