Old 08-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Hiding a concrete fence?

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:14:34 +0100, andyp wrote:

Concrete fence, is that an oxymoron, a bit like a wooden wall?

Neither is an oxymoron.

One sees fences in this area made with posts *and* openwork
panels of precast concrete. I think they look godawful, but at
least they will never rot nor will they suffer the depredations
of carpenter ants and termites.

As for "wooden wall", I've seen an old boiler house (part of a
defunct sawmill, at a guess) with walls made of heavy planks
stacked on the flat and overlapped at the corners. I suppose if
large-dimension lumber is cheap and plentiful and other building
materials scarce, such an architecture makes perfect sense.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada