Old 18-08-2008, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Damons? Plums?

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Ask Kay about her home made bread rolls, she introduced me to
breadmakers. Although the last twice I made them, they rose
beautifully but when I took the cling film off them they went down to
nothing again, I must be doing something wrong. I put the cling film
on them when they are rising so that the heat keeps in.

Put the rolls under a big plastic cake box, such as is molished by that
nice Mr. Tupper. Only take it off just before you put it in the oven.

I was given a breadmaker by a friend - she said I might be able to get
it to work.

It mixed OK (well, the paddle would keep getting stuck, otherwise that
bit went according to plan), but it wouldn't bake. Neither would the
paddle come out of its bearing.

I had a look inside, but couldn't see anything obviously wrong - I
disconnected the element and tested it with a multimeter, and that was
OK.

I put it all back together against the time I wanted a small mains
motor, and when that time came, I began dismantling it again. Hum!
What's this wire, floating aimlessly above the board? Well, it can only
go - here...

Soldering-iron out, and reassembled the thing, and everything worked -
except that you couldn't leave it to get on with the mixing, 'cos it
always jammed. It made excellent bread, though, the stuck paddle always
ripped a lump of bread out on removing the loaf from the pan.

In the end I gutted it, removed the paddle, motor, belt, etc, and
plugged the bottom of the pan with a rolled-up and squished bit of
aluminium foil. Now, I mix the dough in the Kenwood Chef (with a
dough-hook), cover the pan with anything that's handy and hang it in a
warm place, and when the dough has risen properly, bung it in the
breadmaker and set it to bake.

Lovely bread.

Bloody fiddle, though.

--