Old 19-08-2008, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wilson[_3_] Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default How do to prepare onions for storage?

sometime in the recent past FarmI posted this:
"Wilson" wrote in message
It's my first season for onions and am wondering how to best store them. I
planted a pound of yellow onion sets. From the wind and rain, almost all
the green is on the ground, but still green.

Should I wait for the tops to wilt? How about braiding onions? Are they
braided while the tops are still green?

Onions ideally need long warm dry conditions for best storing. When they
are getting towards the end of the season, the best way to get them ready
for storing is to bend the tops over (without breaking them) and they then
sort of dry out and the bulb plumps up. That's not a great description, but
you might get the idea. Depending on your conditions (ie if it's wet and
you're not getting long sunny days) you might need to harvest then on the
greenish side and just use them up quickly and hope for a better growing
season next year. I don't plait, just rough them up with my hands to get
the loosest bits of skins off and then chuck them all together in a plastic
bucket.

I'm going to use some right off at the end of the season to make salsa
depending on how many tomatillos I get, but I can see with our weather that
I'll need to harvest them and dry them on a rack until I can trim the tops
back. Braiding sounded like fun, but I'll probably just put them back into
onion sacks.

Thanks all.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"