Old 19-08-2008, 01:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
GM[_4_] GM[_4_] is offline

Default Lawnmower storage

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
What`s the best way to store a lawnmower for the coming winter?
Should I change the oil now or wait untill spring? What about sta-bil?
Last year I started all of the small engines once a month. That seemed
to work but sometimes was a real pain. What do y`all do?

On the last day of the season that you use your lawnmower, make sure you run
it until all of the gas is used up (gas reservoir is empty). Unplug the
spark plug wire and store the mower. Change the oil in the spring AFTER you
cut your lawn for the first time so the oil will be hotter and thinner and
therefore drain better. At the same time, check/replace air filter, spark
plugs, blade, etc.

I've done this for many years in the cold northern climate where I live and
have never had any problems. Usually starts in spring on the first or
second pull.