Old 19-08-2008, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Saving sunflower seeds

On Aug 19, 1:20*pm, Broadback wrote:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from "Donna Ludlow" contains these words:

Hi All

I have grown some lovely minature sunnies this year and was hoping to save
some seeds to grow some more next year. *I have had a look around the web
but cant find anything telling you when i best to harvest the seeds. *The
main heads are now dropping and lost all their petals. *The inside flowers
are drying out and dropping off. *When do others usually save their seeds
from the heads?

When you can run your finger over the seeds and dislodge some - easily.
It'll be a while yet, and you might have to provide some protection from
the birds.

Personally, I'd leave them for the birds and get fresh seed next year:
there's no guarantee that the seeds you save will grow into dwarf
sunflowers - indeed, it's extremely unlikely that they will. (Some will,
but others are almost sure to be of differing heights.)

I grew sunflowers four years ago as fun for the Grandchildren. Some
still came up this year!- Hide quoted text -

I notice that in fields round here that grow sunflowers for the oil,
this year there is maize in the field next to us with the odd splotch
of sunflowers.

Judith