Old 19-08-2008, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

You know, I did a quick google on Ironite this morning, and; after
wading through a fair bit of eco-nazi frothing, found this article:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=120

It was more balanced than any of the others.

Whoops, I forgot our eco-nazi friends over at Rutgars University.
http://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/soilprofile/sp-v16.pdf

While the great majority of commercial fertilizer
products are generally regarded as safe and free of
harmful levels of heavy metal contamination a limited
number of products of concern have been identified in
the garden center and fertilizer dealer market place.
An example of a product of concern that is widely
available in the home garden fertilizer market is
Ironite. A recent study found that Ironite contains up
to 3600 mg/kg As and 2900 mg/kg Pb and that
solubility testing indicates that the product should be
classified as a hazardous waste. On August 15, 2005,
the New Jersey Department of Agriculture issued a
³stop sale² on Ironite 100,
but other Ironite products
remain on the market.
A limited survey of commercial products obtained
from fertilizer dealers in New Jersey, conducted by
Rutgers Cooperative Research and Extension,
identified one zinc product of concern that contained
83 mg/kg Cd (Table 2). Also analysis of a commercial
liming material found a Ni concentration of 194
mg/kg. New Jersey state officials, garden centers and
fertilizer dealers are being informed about these
suspect products.
In New Jersey, commercial fertilizer products are
regulated for guaranteed nutrient concentration by the
New Jersey Department of Agriculture (NJDA).
Although concentrations of nonnutrient
substances in
fertilizers and liming materials are not currently
regulated, the NJDA will, on request from the public,
test product samples for some heavy metals of
concern. When a farmer, gardener, or fertilizer dealer
has concerns about the guaranteed nutrient
concentration in a fertilizer, quality of a liming
material, or possible contamination of a product with
heavy metals, the product in question may be sampled
and tested by the NJDA, P.O. Box 330, Trenton, NJ
08625. Phone: 6099842222.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars