Old 19-08-2008, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Garden tools an extension of the mind and body.

On 8/19/2008 1:34 PM, Bill wrote:
I started out using tools very similar to my fathers. The warren hoe
comes to mind. Early on a shovel was a shovel designed for moving soft
earth and perhaps a hole or two this was eclipsed by the spade and the
Irish digging spade. The forks we had were designed for moving things
which are still of value but the digging fork became a close friend.
Rakes all sorts appeared.
Later on the question of tool heft became an issue as my heavy digging
needs receded and the tool design became more touch up where it is
today. Then found some children tools. Yup spade, fork and a small
rake became the mainstay. Still use the big stuff when the task needs
it.
Hand tools beside a Japanese farmers knife and a trowel or two
including two masonry came into use. Then the shears and pocket knifes
bonsai tools and still I carry a Japanese carpenter knife and a pair of
tiny 5 inch shears when about except the airport.

Bill who soaks his tools in oil and sand and sharpens with a file.

http://www.bulldogtools.co.uk/index....SSID=921c3927e
19cfe28ca2e7ab6562cefd4

PS Took 40 years to get here and it will change )

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/tools.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean