Old 20-08-2008, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default Snakes? Deterrent tips to keep them away

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:43:40 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

QUESTION: “How does one get rid of snakes without poisoning pets? The
snakes are around the house foundation and we believe they are
Racers.” – Teresa Finch

ANSWER: According to the Web site www.snakesandfrogs.com “Black Racers
are slender black snakes of adult size from 30 to 60 inches in length.
They are called ‘racers’ because they are active, fast moving snakes.
Usually, these snakes quickly slither to the safety of thick grass or
brush when encountered. If cornered or grasped, they will bite
viciously in defense.” However, they are not venomous.

As you might guess, snakes generally go where there is a food source.
Chances are that they are eating rats, mice, frogs and large insects,
and the black racers also eat poisonous snakes.

So, why do you want to get rid of them? You want more "rats, mice,
frogs and large insects"? More poisonous snakes too?

Seems to me that you have a natural control for some troublesome
critters. Welcome Mr. black snake.

John