Old 20-08-2008, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:43:14 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:
"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote
"Marie Dodge" wrote:
Ironite v. a liquid. What problems have you people had with Ironite?
What
is the issue with this product? If it's dangerous, how is it legal to
sell
for use in gardens? Is there any other type of iron to add to the
soil/compost besides liquids? With large gardens, sprinkling "iron"
water
over the plants several times during the season isn't practical.

You know, I did a quick google on Ironite this morning, and; after
wading through a fair bit of eco-nazi frothing, found this article:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=120

It was more balanced than any of the others.

It certainly was. Thanks.

I use Hi-Yield Copperas, which is a powder derived from ferrous
sulfate. It was recommended by more than one organic nursery, is
relatively cheap, and effective.

Where do you get it? I've not seen or heard about it here in central TN.
Who
carries it?

I think you would have to go to a nursery, not a big box store to get
it. I got it for years from a local organic nursery; but when they
retired, I was still able to get it from a more traditional nursery. I
would just call a few nurseries or plant stores near where you live
and ask if they carry it.

Will do but organic gardening isn't all that popular where I live. When I
tried to get all organic fertilizers I went into sticker shock. The cost of
blood meal and bone meal are astronomical! You'd think it was gold meal.
People with small gardens can probably afford such prices, those of us with
larger gardens would have to sell our firstborn sons.

I really miss my organic nursery, they were always willing to try and
get products that I'd read about on the web, or help me find a
suitable alternative. The biggest problem is finding potting soil
without any fertilizer in it, but that's a whine for another post.

I've learned to make my own potting soil. It's much cheaper than buying it.
Us retired people have to watch what we spend.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"