Old 20-08-2008, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default Food for thought

On 20/08/08 04:43, Tim Perry wrote:
We are bombarded with advice from self-appointed experts on the subject
of what we should eat.
Disregarding the fact that our eyes both face forwards, indicating a
predator,
or the fact that we have a carnivores dentition and digestive system,
or the fact that we behave like predators (how many wars have there
been?), we are told we must eat veg.
O.K., I confess I like mash with my bangers.
Ah, but we are supposed to eat 5 veg a day.
O.K., so I'll mash 5 spuds.
But they now say the veg have to be different colours !!.
I got that sorted too, food colouring, 1 mashed spud coloured red, 1
green, 1 yellow, 1 blue, and 1 black.

Everybody happy now?? Can I eat my dinner in peace?.

LOL! ur so right on the button Tim.

Me, I don't know if I eat 5 a day as the Thought Police recommend. I
just eat seasonally from my allotment. So some days, yeah , I'm stuffed
with spuds, runners, sweetcorn and courgettes. Other days, maybe just
a bit of cabbage. But I do like meat but cant grow a cow or pig or lamb.

Went to a veggie restaurant recently with a mate, ordered my meal but
wanted a side plate of steak!! They were not amused!!

But I do drink 5 pints a day!! So I'm getting the benefit from all that
barley and hops!! I also practice beer-rotation: as new brews come
into my bar each fortnight, I switch. It's like crop rotation. Oh, and
maybe often I have a bottle of wine in the evening to provide the grape
juice; they say it is good for the heart. And I love gin, so then I'm
also getting the benefit of the juniper berries as well.

So Tim, I reckon we should eat n drink a whole lot of different foods.

So, grow what you love; eat what you grow.

Cheers,
Ed