Old 20-08-2008, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Duncan Duncan is offline

Default Quince

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:
| "K" wrote in message
|
| I'd like to grow a quince (Cydonia) but not sure whether it'd fruit
for
| me. I'm in Yorkshire, 400ft above sea level, on clay in a slight
frost
| pocket.
|
| My parents grew Quince quite successfully only a few miles away from
you. We
| used to harvest the fruit very late in the year for Quince jelly. I've
no
| idea which form they grew but it was a relatively small bushy shrub.

That's Japanese quince (Chaenomeles) not true quince (Cydonia).

Given that it is decorative, tough and edible, it is always worth
growing, but it isn't as good as the true quince for most cooking
purposes. It makes a very good jelly, and pickle (for those who
like pickles with bite), and can be used in pies etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have a quince tree (Cydonia, "Vranja" variety) growing in North Yorks
(Thirkleby), on heavy wet clay soil in a bit of a hole (sheltered but a bit
too shaded by surrounding trees). It is about 7ft high and I planted it last
summer. The flowers were quite showy, and it has about 8 developing fruit -
so I'd say it would definitely be worth a try. I actually also have a
Chaenomeles near it, which is leafy but not flowering but it has been moved
about a bit in the last couple of years so I haven't given up on it yet.

Duncan