Old 20-08-2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Clearing algae and silt loaded water

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:10:59 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

You know, woods are the native plant result for much of the country.

We have 34 acres in Raymond, MS. It was pasture before the former
owner began to be sick. He stopped cutting it. Grasses gave way
quickly to shrubs and soon to trees. Now, the trees are shading out
the shrubs. The portions I do not cut with a bush hog are becoming
semi-open woods. No mow, no lawn. If we mow, it would be nice to
have a low cover that does not need watering...maybe that should rise
up on the horticulturalist list of plants to develop. Actually, I
know they are trying to develop green grasses that require little
water.

Jim

Bahaia grass comes to mind. Not quite as much fun as kudzu and it was
developed as a drought resistant grass. I believe the original intent
was for highway shoulders and cattle feed. It is a pita in a lawn,
since the seed shoots sprout about a foot high three days after
mowing. I sort of think of it as bulldog tough and just as ugly.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb