Old 21-08-2008, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
AKT AKT is offline

Default Connecting 3-4 sprinklers to one faucet

Chris wrote:

: Ummm, what kind of sprinkler are you using? A simple oscillating
: sprinkler will not cover a large or oddly shaped yard, but an impact
: sprinkler (wap...wap...wap...wap-
: toktoktoktoktoktoktokwap...wap...wap...wap) might do as good a job as
: multiple simple sprinklers. You can set those up to cover an amazing
: array of sizes and shapes.

This is an urban situation. I need to avoid water on:

(1) A wavy path in the middle that everybody walks on. I can't have
water going across, so at least two sprinklers.

(2) Neighbors who like to sit just on the other side of the fence.
(Impact design would be good, as the water stream would remain low.
Oscillating is bad as wind can always carry water to them.)

(3) Flower beds should not be hit hard. (Oscillating is more forgiving
here.)

At present I have an old oscillating model. It does cover a pretty good
chunk, but leaves two areas which could be covered by adding small
fountain type sprinklers.

This one is working but getting rather old and I am thinking of
replacing it by a Gardena 350/T if and when I see one on an end of
season sale. The Gardena would also have more adjustments.

As I need at least two, I would also like to experiment with an impact
type. (Anyway, for reasons given above, I should have oscillating one
one side of the path and impact on the other.) However, to be honest,
they seem intimidating and fragile to me. Therefore I was thinking of
Gardena Turbo Drive
http://www.amazon.com/Gardena-Turbo-...-6/dp/B00004SD
YF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1219291027&sr=8-2 although I am not
sure if it is an honest impact design or not.

I also thought about Gilmour 996D
http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Patter...96D/dp/B0002YV
80A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1219291237&sr=1-1, because of its
claimed ability to trace an uneven pattern, but I am afraid the
mechanism could prove fragile.

Leftover patches as well as the smaller gardens in front could be
covered by turret/fountain type sprinklers.