Old 21-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
No. Although it is plainly vegetable matter, potato doesn't count towards your 5 veg a day. I bet you aren't surprised to learn that sugar doesn't count either, even though its vegetable too. Nor bread nor breakfast cereal nor rice nor pasta, all made from vegerable matter. They all count as carbohydrate, not vegetable, for the present purposes.

At the end of the day it is advice, not something you have to do if you don't want to. If you want an unhealthy diet, that's up to you. Some people do live long on an unhealthy diet. Like Eubie Blake, a chain-smoking jazz musician who reputedly drank nothing but whisky, and who said on his 100th birthday, "If I'd known I was going to live so long, I'd have looked after myself better, dad." But statistically, he is an unusual case.
O.K., thanks for the amusing exchange, although I do feel it rather missed
the point I was making, ie- What is a natural diet.
It's like the ads for dog food that include carrot, sweetcorn and apple.
Said to be 'Better by nature', but I cannot recall ever seeing a pack of wolves stalking a carrot field, or African hunting dogs chasing a corn on the cob.
Yes, I love all fruit and most veg, but that was not my point.

This thread has probably gone on long enough, and I think we will have to agree to differ, but there is a danger in blindly accepting as gospel everything the latest trendy 'expert' says. Please, don't abandon your own common sense.