Old 21-08-2008, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Quince

On 20/8/08 22:50, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"K" wrote in message
I'd like to grow a quince (Cydonia) but not sure whether it'd fruit for
me. I'm in Yorkshire, 400ft above sea level, on clay in a slight frost
pocket.

Any ideas?
--
Kay

My parents grew Quince quite successfully only a few miles away from you. We
used to harvest the fruit very late in the year for Quince jelly. I've no
idea which form they grew but it was a relatively small bushy shrub.

That sounds like Chaenomeles japonica. The real quince is Cydonia oblonga
and the fruits are huge and pear shaped. Placed in a bowl in a room they
will perfume it beautifully. And an old Cydonia tree is a thing of beauty,
IMO.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com