Old 21-08-2008, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

I understand. There doesn't seem to be much sympathy for people on a
budget or people who don't have easy access to organic products; but I
understand where you're coming from.

I have difficulty with the idea of organic soil amendments that have
the word product included. Sure dried blood, bone meal etc. and other
products are costly. But is it not a fundamental idea to put back into
the soil more than we take out. Aside Bone meal and Creutzfeldt-Jakob
disease scary.
How to do it becomes the issue. Cover crops, manures, anything once
alive. I favor wood chips as I get them delivered for free. Then there
are the trips about to barber shops to take the waste hair. Making
friends with the local high cafeteria folks to take the garbage.
Keeping those teaming microbes alive and well so we can eat off the top
of the chain.

Bill wondering why my eyelid is itching. )

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA