Old 21-08-2008, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Quince

In article ,
says...
Sacha writes
On 20/8/08 20:53, in article
, "K"
wrote:

I'd like to grow a quince (Cydonia) but not sure whether it'd fruit for
me. I'm in Yorkshire, 400ft above sea level, on clay in a slight frost
pocket.

Any ideas?

Not from experience but:
Cultivation
Quinces grow and fruit readily in Southern England and succeeds as far north
as Yorkshire with a sunny sheltered site. Almost any soil is suitable (a
deep moist fertile loam is ideal), but shelter and sun are important; very
alkaline soils usually cause chlorosis. Trees do tolerate quite deep shade
but are unlikely to crop there.
http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/ansample.html

Thanks, but I'd already seen that site, hence my concern!

They are very unforgiving of dry roots, I had a lovely one that grew and
fruited well in a northly aspect, but it was on a raised bed and when I
realised that the down pipes from the house gutters entered the pipe on
one side but no water came ot the other I decided to clear the pipe of
soil and roots, the down pipes now work but the tree has been a mess ever
since! loses leaves seldom fruits and is due to come out - shame
If they like you they are a very pretty small tree and a good polinator
for any other pears you may have, I would say give it ago :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk