Old 21-08-2008, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default First-year asparagus help please

I am growing asparagus for the first time (from 1yr-old crowns) and I'm
thinking that the bed is getting a bit out of hand with some 'spears'
over 6ft tall and all 16 crowns producing vigorous shoots growing at
all angles! (Do they need staking?) I have resisted the temptation to
cut any for the pot but I need to know what to do next, and when.
Should I cut them back or just leave them to die back?

I must say that either asparagus is easy to grow or I am more
green-fingered (or fortunate) than I thought. I have also been
delighted to discover that none of predators hereabouts, including Mr
Rabbit, has shown the slightest interest in my asparagus, so I can add
it to my list of veg which can be grown without protection (among them,
tomatoes, parsley, parcel, chives and garlic).