Old 21-08-2008, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is the area drained by a 1m3 void?

In article ,
says...

In article ,
K writes:
| kitey writes
|
| I have just moved into a new house that has a badly water logged
| garden, due to it being a clay soil.
|
| I have just replaced the boiler which has left me with 2 1m3 cold
| water tanks.
|
| My question is, if I bury these tanks upside down in the garden,with
| 6-12" of soil on top, what area of grden would each tank drain.
|
| Not much more than 1 sq m unless you have a system of drains channelling
| the water into the tanks.

And not for long if you do! The excess of rainfall over evaporation
in the UK varies between c. 25 cm and c. 1m (in inhabited areas).
There would need to be some way for those tanks to drain to a local
river.

| 6-12 inches of soil is not a great deal, especially if we get a hot
| summer. You would have problems with dry soil on that area.

Indeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think the OP was intending for these tanks to drain direct to the
drainage system and that the question related to how much around the tank
could be expected to be drained in to them, as regards that I have no
idea as I have never gardened on clay but I suspect it such a wide spread
problem that there must be info out there on spacings, depths etc
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk